Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Tuesday 7th August 2012 – Home Based Care & Feeding Programme in Share village

Sam Bowers writes...
Pauline, Cheryl, Wendy, Abi and Ruth help to give out
the food to some of the 70 children- which has been cooked
for them by the care workers
Today we went to a place called Share. When we got to Share we were welcomed by the care-workers who seemed very pleased to see us. We went into the church and the care-workers sang songs while we clapped along. After that we played some funny games which was a great laugh for us all. We then got into groups with a care-worker. I was with Abi, Wendy and Cheryl and our care-worker was called Anna. First we went to a house to visit a guy called Lucky. Unfortunately Lucky never showed up which was unlucky, however his sister was there for us to meet. Anna showed us the back of Luckys house and we saw how the back room had fallen down and there was a huge hole in the wall of the front room. In fact the whole house didn’t look safe at all.

Rose helps with making 'pap' (maize meal porridge)
at the feeding point for 70 children in Share
After sitting in the glorious hot sunshine for a while we decided Lucky wasn’t going to show so we moved on to the next house, which was quite a walk. When we got there we met some teenagers and their younger brothers and sister. We chatted for a while then took some photos. We then made our way back to the meeting point where we a big group of us including Abi, Wendy and Alan played piggy in the middle. Then it was dinner time. While people ate there food I was sitting on a chair while two of the young children, a boy and a girl who must have been aged around 2 or 3, maybe 4, sat on my lap while pulling my beard and ear ring and taking my watch off which amused Brian, Alan and the girls. After dinner we got back into our groups and headed back to the house. I carried the boy all the way back and Cheryl carried the girl. The boy smiled and giggled and made noises all the way back which amused both himself and me. It was just lovely. We arrived back at the house and had another quick chat before saying our goodbyes. We then headed back to the mini bus. We waited for everyone to arrive back on the buses then left. All in all it was a lovely day and I’m looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow.