Friday, 20 July 2012

Day 7 - 20th July 2012

Hello everyone Abbie here again I hope everyone’s okay back home still and I’m still having an amazing time still getting on really well with the girls and Dan who I have to say is going to be a new man by the time he comes home.


Well just to fill you in on my own personal experience since I last spoke, on Tuesday we visited the centre for Hands for their one region and was talked through the hands model and ideology of proving and assisting through care workers in their home community three essential services of; safety, education as well as food via feeding programs for the children in communities who are recognised the most vulnerable. This was useful as it explained how hands try to tackle these problems on the ground with care workers behind them giving me a greater understanding of how hands work. Following this then when to meet Petros who has been ill recently but is an amazing man who whilst still not being well champions people in this fellow community to go into his village and the surround villages and try to assist them providing services to the children who need it most, all whilst he and this family live in the same poverty same kind of dwelling his youngest girl being on the most vulnerable list, this care for others whilst being in the same situation himself and trying to make a positive change to his community rather like Ralph I spoke about before just amazes me. Anyway to cut a long story short we then met the chief of the village at the feeding program due to his interest in our visit.

Then Wednesday came and we went to Share a region who’s program with hands has only really just begun here we met the care workers and in the morning we did home based care in which I went round with Anna who has three children 11, 6 and 4 years as well as a husband but still goes out into the community despite her other commitments to help the others, as well as another care worker, and Emily who is a trainer for hands for the care workers who looks after her niece and nephew. The first house we went to was with a young man called Lucky who was sixteen when his parents died in 2006 and ever since then has been looking after his three younger brothers who are 12, 13 and 20. Even though he’s twenty two that to me is still young to look after and provide for your family especially if at almost the same age as me he was pleased with that pressure, no disrespect to my lad mates I love them all but I couldn’t see or imagine them last year having to be the soul carer and provider for their family of three younger siblings no matter how lovely they are. To add insult to injury despite graduating high school like many people is struggling to get a job even though he was so intelligent and polite and spook perfect English, also there home, which was not elaborate and was somewhat newly built and the back of the building had collapsed so that the rain got into the room sand flooded and there was not security there being missing half a wall also at night I think it gets freezing, let alone how they feel when my baking is to them a cold winters day. After him we met Tabo (I think it’s the one who Hannah will talk about on her blog) his grandmother who was looking after him and where it cost twenty Rand to monthly take him to the hospital and who her son and daughter in law live with her to. After this we then did a feeding program with some of the children, but there wasn’t so much time to personally get to know individuals it was just a lot of play.

But the next day we then got to go back and spend more time doing the Homes Based Care Visit and then with the feeding program spend a long time with the young people and children who are regarded as most vulnerable or in need in that community. In the home based care we first went to visit a woman called Bosani who has three children two girls and one boy and who are 14, 10 and 6 years old the boy and her share a room and the two girls share another with then one other small room in the house, she showed us round and she was lovely showing us the girls Sunday best which stuck me as region is so important she had made sure that despite the state of the other clothes which compared to my wardrobe is slightly lacking she had ensured that they would look nice for church, the girls also shared a room and a mat, and Bosani also then showed us a mat she was currently weeding which was just a simple mat which she was now going to sleep on with a blanket with her son, with how cold it is I don’t know how they do that. She was so lovely and so proud for the little she had which just reinforced how ungrateful we all are for the opportunities and the clutter of stuff we have.

The second house we visited contained 8 people in one house that consisted off the one woman who was ill, then her three children aged; 18, 17 and 13 and then her sister Setsuwini with her three children aged; 7, 3 and 1, the three and the one year old we met and were shy but so so beautiful and I’m not just saying that.

Now don’t worry I’m finally coming to and end of the stories my family will not hear the end off but then after this we then did the feeding program again, this time I got to speak to some of the young people and I got talking to Sharon who’s the same age as me and likes business and wants to be a business woman when she’s older we got talking and I found out she lives with her older brother as her mom and dad both died as well as her younger sister, Issha, who’s twelve who I also met, once again she was so funny and intelligent and her English rivalled mine. Her and her friends, Dumisile who’s 18 and since the age of fifteen has lived with her brother who’s twenty also and her younger sister Cleverness since her mother died were talking to me about school and home and so touchingly which actually reminded me off my friends back home, asked me what I was doing Saturday. I didn’t want to say we were going to Kruger (which we did today and saw the big 5), as for me I just felt it insensitive, so I just said I couldn’t go when her and her friends asked if me and the rest of the girls wanted to come with them to ‘watch’ the boys play football, or just ogle them in other terms which made me laugh and reminded me of my friends but it was so touching they asked and both them and myself seemed rather disappointed when I had to decline.